Our next meet and mingle will be hosted by our kind friends at Pleck Methodist Church at 7pm on Wednesday 5th October. Please do come along and bring anyone you know who might be interested. We bring food and soft drinks to share.
Refugee Volunteer Training
Please find attached latest details/poster of training for those befriending Refugees and Asylum-Seekers, or interested in doing so. (Evenings in September/October, and Mornings in November/December, in Birmingham).
Wolverhampton needs help
Our neighbour Wolverhampton City of Sanctuary hold a weekly drop in session on a Wednesday. They are currently short of volunteers to help during September. They are also asylum seekers in need of televisions, vacuum cleaners, pots and pans, cutlery, crockery, microwaves, ironing boards and small settees. If you are able to help them with any of that or you are able to transport some of the larger items that have been donated, then please contact Sharon [email protected] or Khady on 07580015377 / [email protected]
Procession of Light Bearwood
On Saturday 1st October the community of Bearwood will be coming together in solidarity with refugees, promoting messages of welcome, hope and support. Bearwood Action for Refugees are joining together with other community organisations including We Are Bearwood for a torch-lit Procession of Light through Warley Woods 5pm, twilight, in Warley Woods, B67 5ED and we shall be meeting by the fountain to process up to the pavillion.
Local families and individuals are invited to take part in the procession, bringing their own torches to light their way. It’s hoped that lots of local groups, schools and communities will want to get involved to fully represent the local community.
…the crafty bit…
Using a technique called debossing, you can create your very own torch template to project a unique light picture or message from your torch for the procession. Smethwick Craftivistas have created a template kit to share with schools and groups that will help people do this. There will also be sessions taking place at the Crafty Pantry Food Festival on Saturday 17th September and on 1st October in the Pavillion at Warley Woods prior to the event where you can make a light picture template for your torch. Details for the template will follow.
The following pleas are directly from the City Of Sanctuary:
- This would entail contacting key supporters across your networks and other organisations such as refugee support groups that have grown around the global crisis and Calais, Amnesty International, Local Refugee Welcome Groups and any other solidarity groups / organisations including local trade unions (or Trades Council) to check that there isn’t already a coach booked and to engage their participation.
- Then book a coach and promote it, including via the Solidarity with Refugees Facebook pages as above. See the attached document which provides a helpful guide to booking a coach for this event.
- To save significant work – tickets can be sold via Eventbrite (more info in the attached doc) and this can be advertised widely through supporter networks and social media. you may also wish to inform your local press and radio. Those who can’t go to London for the day may wish to purchase tickets and inform the organiser of this so the seat can be allocated to an asylum seeker / refugee.So your promotion can be to all supporters even if they don’t join the march.
- Its also possible to set up a crowdfunder to help ensure that coach costs are underwritten, regardless of how many seats are sold.
- Tell us if you have organised a coach and bring your banners!